Government Polytechnic College, Kottayam, established in 1960 in the beautiful land of letters, lakes and latex, towers above other institutions of its kind.At first it offered three year diploma courses in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering.The campus sprawling over an area of 25.4 acres provides ample facilities to both the staff and the student community.In order to serve the needs of the industry in a better way other diploma branches like Electronics Engineering, Diploma in commercial practice and Polymer technology Engineering were later introduced. The college now offers three year diploma courses in six disciplines - Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Polymer Technology and Diploma in commercial practice. Every year
more than 360 students from different walks of the society seek admission in the college .With the Jubilee, the institution can proudly speak of unchallenged achievements and meritorious service. It is a matter of immense pride that students who crossed the threshold of this pioneer institute are now placed in responsible and highly coveted positions all over the world and are contributing substantially in various fields.
- Technician education is for moulding successful men who are socially productive & useful
Government Polytechnic College Kottayam aims at
- Providing high quality education & training to cater to the multifarious needs of the Industrial and other segments of the community
- Moulding character and conduct of its students enabling them to lead a disciplined and well-ordered life
- Instilling in them the virtues of mutual respect and commitment for the betterment of the community.
- Inspiring in them a spirit of service which will bring about an overall change in their personality
- Conducting other programmes/courses along with the regular diploma courses like Continuing Education programmes, programmes with community polytechnic scheme specially for the poor class of the surrounding community and Special programmes for the Physically challenged youth.
- Bring the institute to the level of international academic standards that ensures global mobility
- To develop a model system which nurtures the uniqueness of each individual
- Add on courses for enhancing student capability
- Attract industries and others for Consultancy and Product testing
- To provide quality technical expertise and community extension programmes for the society